The Chateaugay Town Hall Theater has a long, colorful history.
The original Town Hall, built in 1911, included an Opera House, which featured movies,
Vaudeville, plays, concerts, and stage production until the town hall burned in November 1940.
The rebuilt Town Hall opened in November 1941. The theater space was devoted primarily to movies on and off until 1975.
From the late 1970’s until mid 1980’s, the Chateaugay Arts Council used the theater for intermittent productions.
In the early 1990’s the Chateaugay Revitalization Committee led efforts to refurbish the theater. Until 2007 the theater hosted a variety of concerts and productions.
Beginning in 2007, the Chateaugay Rotary Club, the Town of Chateaugay, the Chateaugay Revitalization Committee, and the P.K. Curtin Fund initiated a project to renovate and upgrade the theater, culminating in the theater’s grand reopening in June 2011. The theater’s infrastructure has been upgraded to 21st century standards, with new lighting, a state-of-the-art sound system, and a new projector.
This renovation opens the theater to music, drama, comedy, movies, and dance, large business meetings, and a wide range of programs sponsored by various groups and organizations in Chateaugay and the surrounding communities in northern New York and southern Quebec.