About the BackPack Program –
The BackPack Program is designed to meet the needs of hungry local school children at times when other resources may not be available to them, on weekends. The program provides backpacks filled with food for the weekend that is nutritious, child-friendly, shelf-stable, and easily prepared and consumed. Bags are packed each week by volunteers and discreetly distributed by school staff to participating children-in-need on Friday afternoons.
BackPack Facts –
• The BackPack program at the Regional Food Bank of Northeastern NY started in 2007. Since then, the program has expanded to 31 schools throughout 8 counties, serving over 650 children each week. • More than 13,850 backpacks were distributed during the 2011–12 school year. • By the 2012–13 school year, the BackPack Program tripled in size from 11 to 31partner schools.
• Kiwanis Club of Ticonderoga is working with the Regional Food Bank and local
school districts to develop backpack programs to benefit needy local children.
BackPack Menu –
Each backpack includes . . .
• 2 breakfast items (cereal, oatmeal packets, graham crackers, granola bars)
• 3 entrees (mac & cheese, PB & J, spaghettios, tuna, soup)
• A loaf of bread
• 2 shelf stable milks (plain and chocolate)
• 2 juice boxes (100% juice whenever possible)
• Fresh fruits
• Fresh vegetables
• 2 snacks (cookies, popcorn, pudding, etc.)
What They’re Saying about the BackPack Program –
• “I like getting food from the BackPack because I don’t have a lot of food in my
house.” – A participating student.
• It helps fill in meals and it’s great to know the school is there to help in other
ways than just academics!” - A parent of a participating student.
• “This is an excellent program in our community where there are many living at
the poverty level. Thanks for putting in the time and effort to make BackPack a
reality.” – A participating teacher.
• “It is a great help when it is so costly in the store. It gives me peace of mind. I
know my kids look forward to it and enjoy it.”- A parent of a participating student
• According to teachers, students who receive the backpacks show increased
attention and ability to focus during the school day.
• Most students share their food with family members, indicating how important
this program is to the entire household.
• Many parents and students indicated that the fresh fruits and vegetables sent home were the kid’s favourite items.
How You Can Help –
• The local backpack program will be funded entirely by local donations. No
taxpayer funds are being used.
• 100% of all donations go towards the cost of the food for the program.
• The average cost of one backpack full of food is $5.56 for the entire weekend.
• The cost to sponsor one child for a full school year (30 weekends) is $167.00.
• When sending in a donation, be sure to indicate that you would like the funds to
be directed to the BackPack Program and the school district you wish to benefit.
• All donations to the Regional Food Bank of Northeastern NY are fully taxdeductible as charitable contributions.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Yes, I will support BackPack Program and help to provide
nutritious meals during the weekends for hungry children!
City: ______________________________ State: _________ Zip: _____________
Participating School District; ____________________________________________
Amount: _____________ Check Visa American Express Master Card
Number ____________________ Billing Zip Code _______ Expiration Date ______
Alleviating hunger … together.
PLEASE MAIL TO: Regional Food Bank of NENY
965 Albany-Shaker Road
Latham, New York 12110